Bumble bees are adorable insects that many people adore. They have an important role in the natural world. These social insects pollinate plants, thus preserving ecological systems.
Though bees have a peaceful reputation, they can sometimes become aggressive when aggravated. In these instances, bumble bees may use their stingers.
This guide will tell you everything that you need to know about the sting of a bumble bee(see also: What Are Carniolan Bees? All You Need To Know).
Do Bumble Bees Sting?
Yes, bumble bees can sting people. However, they rarely resort to this option. Bumble bees will only sting people once they feel threatened. As a consequence, it’s vital to avoid provoking one of these insects.
If you encounter a bumble bee, do not panic. If you attempt to waft the bee away, it is more likely to attack you.
It’s worth noting that only female bumble bees have stingers, namely the worker bees and queens. Drones do not have stingers, and so lack the ability to sting.
What Happens When A Bumble Bee Stings?
When a bumble bee uses its stinger, a small amount of poison is implanted into the body. This will cause pain to the person who has been stung, though this pain should only remain for a short time.
Bumble bees have smooth stingers that have no barbs, meaning that they can sting people multiple times. Thanks to its smooth stinger, a bumble bee can remove this weapon without it becoming detached.
The reaction of the recipient can vary, as everyone will have different responses to a bumble bee sting.
Bumble bee sting reactions can be mild, moderate, or severe. Among the symptoms of a reaction to one of these insect stings include:
- Itchy skin
- Pain at the site of the sting
- Red patches on the skin
- Moderate swelling of the skin
What Will Happen If You Have Been Stung By Multiple Bees?
In most cases, a bumble bee will not sting you multiple times. This is because they are not overly aggressive insects.
Yet, you could be stung numerous times if you have interrupted a swarm of bees(see also: What Is A Swarm Trap? Here’s How You Can Get Free Bees!). If this happens, the amount of venom in your body will be significantly more than if you had been stung by just one bee.
You will likely feel nauseous after being stung numerous times.
Can You Be Allergic To A Bumble Bee Sting?
Yes, it is possible to have an allergic reaction to a bumble bee sting. Only a small amount of bumble bee stings will result in a bad allergic reaction.
If you have a more severe reaction to a bumble bee sting, you will likely experience symptoms including difficulty breathing or nausea.
People who have a more intense reaction to a bumble bee sting should contact a doctor immediately.
A sting could cause anaphylaxis. This is a life-threatening allergic reaction. Occurring within just a few seconds, anaphylaxis will trigger numerous unpleasant symptoms, such as a swollen eye or a skin rash.
Due to the severity of this health issue, you should treat anaphylaxis as a medical emergency.
Are Bumble Bee Stings Painful?
Yes, bumble bee stings are painful. The reason for this is that stings release venom into the skin. The proteins found in this venom will cause the skin to swell or become irritated.
As mentioned, symptoms of a bee sting will vary. Therefore, some people will experience more pain than others.
How Can You Treat A Bumble Bee Sting?
If you have received a painful bee sting, you may be looking for a treatment to relieve your symptoms. These are the steps that you should take to treat this painful sensation:
- If the bee has stung the mouth or eye, you should immediately seek medical advice. This is also the case if you have suffered from an allergic reaction to the bumble bee sting.
- If the stinger has become detached, you should remove it. However, this is unlikely to happen when it comes to bumble bees, as their stinger is smoother than other types of bee stings. When removing a stinger, never tweeze it, as this could cause the venom to spread further.
- Next, you should wash the site of the sting. This can be done simply with soap and water.
- To stop the skin from welling, you should use something cold, such as an ice pack or cold compress.
- Use various over-the-counter treatments. Painkillers, such as ibuprofen, will relieve your symptoms and stop the pain that you are experiencing. Meanwhile, certain treatments can limit swelling and itching. For instance, you can try using antihistamine tablets.
- Alternatively, you can utilize at-home treatments for treating your bumble bee stings(see also: Do Carpenter Bees Sting?). Aloe vera, honey, and baking soda are commonly used as home treatments, though the success of these treatments will vary.
- If your symptoms persist for more than a few days or intensify, medical advice will be required.
How Long Do Bumble Bee Stings Last?
After being stung by a bumble bee, you will likely only feel pain for one or two hours afterward. However, other symptoms, such as redness and swelling, can last for up to 7 days after the incident.
If your symptoms last for longer than this, you may need to acquire medical assistance.
Bumble bees (see also: Do Bumble Bees Make Honey?)are lovable insects. However, they can also be dangerous thanks to their ability to sting. Queen and worker bees have stingers, (see also: How To Remove Bee Stinger)which can cause a range of painful symptoms when they pierce the skin.
The best way to avoid irritating a bumble bee (see also: Do Bumble Bees Have Hives?)is to remain calm.
Frequently Asked Questions
A sting will cause similar symptoms regardless of whether it is from a bumble bee or a wasp. Generally, the sting of a wasp is considered more painful than that of a bumble bee.
Bumble bees are not naturally aggressive. These sociable creatures will only attack people when they feel threatened. As a result, it is best to avoid irritating a bumble bee if you want to stay on its good side.